From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Large files still in files/
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:55:20
1 On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 12:54 -0500, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > I know this has been covered before, but what is the problem with
3 > putting files on dev.gentoo.org? The automatic scripts should suck it
4 > into distfiles and portage should check mirrors before "upstream" (in
5 > this case dgo) first, so I'd think the load on dgo shouldn't be
6 > significant.
7
8 The load isn't insignificant. That and the people providing hosting for
9 dgo mind quite heavily when we use dgo as a distribution point. Add
10 that to the complete lack of redundancy with dgo and you have a recipe
11 for disaster... ;]
12
13 Think about what the load would be for, say, any KDE patches for the 4
14 hours between a new KDE going into the tree and the distfiles mirrors
15 picking up the files.
18 Chris Gianelloni
20 Games - Developer
21 Gentoo Linux