From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Stuart Herbert <stuart@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
Cc: 'Paul de Vrieze' <pauldv@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo part II.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:08:12
1 On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 12:39:54PM +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > > I hope you realise that your desires are conflicting. more
3 > > ebuilds leads to
4 > > more unmaintained ebuilds. More QA needs more time.
5 >
6 > Rubbish. Totally utter rubbish.
7 >
8 > The right levels of QA *save* time, because things are done
9 > as-right-as-they-can-be first time. Instead of time going into bug fixing
10 > and constantly re-doing what has been done, the time instead goes into
11 > moving forward, and doing new things. *Too much* QA just bogs the whole
12 > thing down, and makes it impossible to get anything done in a timely
13 > fashion. The two are very different.
14 >
15 > I can think of one way to make dealing with unmaintained ebuilds easy
16 > enough. First of all, put in place a mechanism to remove the guesswork
17 > about whether a particular package is maintained or not. Then, create a
18 > pool of developers who will handle new ebuilds for these packages. Finally,
19 > make a site where people can come and tell you when an ebuild is out of date
20 > (or just use Bugzilla). That way, packages that no-one particularly wants
21 > to maintain are driven by 'customer demand' (for lack of a better phrase).
22 > Final step is to setup some 'tinderbox' machines, where the unmaintained
23 > ebuilds are automatically built. When they finally break, a bug could be
24 > automatically raised on Bugzilla for someone in the pool to look at it.
25 >
26 > There's also another way. Encourage more opensource projects to maintain
27 > their own ebuilds. Many of them maintain SPEC files for building RedHat
28 > RPMs. So why not try and distribute the work more widely too?
29 >
30 > What are *your* proposals for addressing this? I'd like to hear them.
31 >
32 > > We are trying to address these problems in a way that is
33 > > satisfactory for everyone.
34 >
35 > Are you speaking for yourself, or for TheManagement(tm)?
38 We (the top level managers) are definitely trying to address these
39 problems. I'm pretty sure there's GLEPs about it, but I don't know URLs
40 offhand. And come on now - don't try to turn us (the top level managers)
41 into some kind of secret cabal; you know us.
42
43 > > Be assured that these issues are being addressed. This
44 > > requires time though, as restructuring is necessary for it to happen.
45 >
46 > You talk like we should run along and play, and not bother BigPeople(tm)
47 > like yourself. You'll have to excuse me if I don't like that ;-) It's
48 > exactly this sort of *presentation* (I use the work presentation because
49 > you've included nothing of substance in your reply!) that makes people call
50 > for more openness in the community. Interesting.
53 I don't think that was Paul's intention. Additionally, we're not hiding
54 anything; proposals are on the web in the form of GLEPs AFAIK. However,
55 we're still hashing out what we want to do for various things.
58 Jon Portnoy
59 avenj/irc.freenode.net
62 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list