From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] perl-5.8.0-r1 (for those interested)
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 08:12:19
1 Just wanted to pass on that perl-5.8.0-r1 is now masked in portage. Threading support is now compiled in (now stable), and the ebuild itself has undergone a major revision. It may look a lot like the old ebuild, but believe me, I put each of those lines in there myself (so you know who to blame). Among other things, the bug that was addressed in the -r6 of perl-5.6.1 (now unmasked) is also fixed in the -r1 of 5.8.0.
2
3 I welcome testers of all platforms and gcc, however, I throw this caveat out. As mentioned in another thread, the new perl is not compatible with everything that could rely on perl 5.6.1. Any modules that are not pure perl will break. Any apps that use=perl have a decent chance of breaking. This is not my doing - the perl folks have changed the IO model for perl in preperation of the eventual 6.0 release.
4
5 Thanks all, shoot me, or at least shoot me an email, if you have you any questions or notice any major foobars on my part.
6
7 -Mike