From: Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: Alastair Tse <liquidx@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] python-2.3.2 testing required
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:34:29
1 On Wednesday 12 November 2003 18:46, Alastair Tse wrote:
2
3 > I need some more testing for python-2.3.2 before it is released into
4 > ~x86.
5
6 This update is looking good here. Fine work. 8)
7
8 > 2. run: emerge -u portage python
9
10 note that -u will update alot of things with ~x86 that you might not want.
11
12 > UCS4 uses significantly more memory than UCS2.
13
14 I have compared ucs2 (with the ebuild in portage) and ucs4 (with hacking that
15 ebuild to include the --enable-unicode=ucs4 configure switch). I compared:
16 1. The sizes of a newly started interpreter using the RES column on 'top'
17 2. The size of a "btdownloadheadless" process seeding a knoppix cd image
18 3. The size of the .tbz2 binary package.
19
20 The empty interpreters are of identical size. The bittorrent process is
21 considerably *smaller* with ucs4, and the tbz2 files are largely unchanged in
22 size. Numbers below. IMHO thats a clear but suprising win for ucs4. Lets use
23 it always.
24
25 > Plan for Python's Future
26 > ========================
27
28 Portage has a number of packages that still need 2.2 but reference
29 #!/usr/bin/python. For example, rdiff-backup. The distutil eclass has support
30 for forcing /usr/bin/python2.1 (thanks to zope), but I cant see any way to
31 force 2.2. am I overlooking something?
36 ucs2 ucs4
37 empty interpreter 2928 2928
38 btdownloadheadless 6076 5464, 5420
39 tbz2 size 5954517 5951807