From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE=gui?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:50:33
1 On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:22:22 +0300
2 Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 04/16/2012 11:11 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 09:12:16 +0200
6 > > ""Paweł Hajdan, Jr.""<phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> On 4/10/12 8:58 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
9 > >>> Other option would be to enable "wxwidgets" by default for that
10 > >>> profiles.
11 > >>
12 > >> I prefer this. Changing USE flag meaning in a counter-intuitive way
13 > >> (to let "gtk" mean "wxwidgets") would seem frustrating to me.
14 > >>
15 > >> With "wxwidgets" enabled by default people will get the most likely
16 > >> desired result (i.e. GUI) "out of the box", and setting
17 > >> USE="-wxwidgets" will have desired effect.
18 > >>
19 > >> Note that with USE="gtk" really meaning USE="wxwidgets", -wxwidgets
20 > >> would have no effect on such a package, which is the potentially
21 > >> surprising behavior I mentioned earlier.
22 > >
23 > > On the other hand, we should ask ourselves whether the USE flags are
24 > > very intuitive right now.
25 > >
26 > > Say, we have USE=ssl which enables SSL support. We already agreed
27 > > that's the correct meaning of it, and USE=gnutls,openssl,nss are
28 > > just to be used when there's more than one implementation to choose
29 > > from.
30 >
31 > USE=ssl is also meaning OpenSSL and there should be no USE=openssl
32 > >
33 > > Shouldn't we have USE=gui in a similar fashion? Most of the devs
34 > > probably prefer the way 'I want GUI only if it's using my favorite
35 > > toolkit'. But users OTOH may prefer saying 'I want GUI in this app,
36 > > no matter what it uses'.
37 > >
38 > > This would probably handle the wxwidgets case most correct, having
39 > > it under USE=gui or similar.
42 > -1, this would only add inconsistency / complexity to tree with
43 > packages having multiple graphical toolkits to pick from
44 >
45 > should be kept the way it is
46
47 or maybe adding useflag properties in a future eapi, or meta
48 useflags abusing REQUIRED_USE:
49
50 gui? ( || ( wxwidgets gtk fltk ) )
51
52 and then the PM could support 'I want GUI in this app, no matter what it
53 uses' by automatically adding the first pick to package.use
56 not sure if its desirable though