From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] alpha, ia64, ppc, ppc64, sparc developers, need your attention
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 17:16:07
1 On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 13:33:22 +0200
2 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > This makes me wonder about the real status of some of this arches. I
5 > know that now we will probably see how Agostino goes ahead and does
6 > all the work (that is nice and I really welcome his work trying to
7 > keep this arches in shape), but also makes me thing if makes sense to
8 > keep this agostino-dependency for this arches more and more time.
9 > What will occur if he is not around sometime? :/
10
11 As I've said many times before, having a single person handle much of
12 the work most of the time causes coordinated volunteering for the work
13 to fail as it takes more time to coordinate stuff than to do the actual
14 work for fear of duplicating the work or because of duplicating the
15 work.
16
17 On top of these problems you get the technical issues of having a
18 single point of failure in doing the actual testing and the bias that a
19 successful test on one arch might cause in testing on the next one. On
20 top of that, the automation of setting up the test targets, testing and
21 keywording with a single implementation is more prone to errors and
22 omissions.
23
24 I could point out many examples of bug reports where this went wrong.
25 It happens at least once a week. Forcing more eyeballs on
26 keywording and stabilisation would greatly help in both preventing and
27 solving such issues.
30 jer