From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:37:51
1 On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 04:52 +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:07:37 -0800 Mike Owen <kyphros@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > | What about something like "/etc/portage/news.read", which contains a
5 > > | single news file per line. Perhaps have support for something like
6 > > | "<=2006-01-01" in order to be able to manually mark date ranges as
7 > > | read.
8 > >
9 > > Eh, yet another file. No real need for it really, it just adds
10 > > complexity.
11 > >
12 > > Besides, /etc isn't for program-generated data.
15 > Modify anything within PORTDIR is wrong.
16 >
17 > I'd put a /var/db/news and a /etc/portage/news to handle that.
18 >
19 > Which should be a reasonable timeframe for the news to stay?
20
21 Until deleted.
22
23 > Till the next gentoo release?
24
25 I'd prefer the news reader have both read and delete options. I also
26 think we would need a searchable archive of all news items. I'd really
27 prefer it was a web page, rather than trying to search a mailing list
28 archive.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
33 x86 Architecture Team