From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dev-python/cryptography to use rust, effectively killing alpha, hppa, ia64, m68k, s390
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 11:31:16
1 On Mon, 08 Feb 2021 12:19:13 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > FYI the developers of dev-python/cryptography decided that Rust is going
7 > to be mandatory for 1.5+ versions. It's unlikely that they're going to
8 > provide LTS support or security fixes for the old versions.
9 >
10 > <snip>
11 >
12 > Honestly, I don't think it likely that Rust will gain support for these
13 > platforms. This involves a lot of work, starting with writing a new
14 > LLVM backend and getting it accepted (getting new code into LLVM is very
15 > hard unless you're doing that on behalf one of the big companies). You
16 > can imagine how much effort that involves compared to rewriting the new
17 > code from Cryptography into C.
18
19 I do know that there is ongoing work to get Rust going on m68k but it's
20 very slow and I'm not entirely confident they'll get there. At least I
21 don't have this package on my m68k system!
24 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
25 Gentoo Linux Developer