From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Default Ebuild behaviour
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 12:34:45
1 On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 12:11:49 +0000 "Benjamin Smee (strerror)"
2 <strerror@g.o> wrote:
3 | While I understand various developers concerns about cluttering /etc
4 | (especially embedded), I don't see why this should stop the policy of
5 | writting ebuilds that work and have expected tools around them.
6 | Precisely what that constitutes is the real question.
7
8 See, you're not really taking into account the cost of sticking files
9 in /etc. For packages where an etc entry is low cost, it's already
10 done. For things like bash completion and log rotation, the cost of
11 installing a file into /etc can be extremely high, so it shouldn't be
12 forced upon system administrators unless they ask for it. The same goes
13 for cron entries for packages where the cron part isn't a core
14 operation.
15
16 What would be nice is a ban on .example files in anywhere covered by
17 CONFIG_PROTECT. We have /usr/share/doc/ for those.
20 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (King of all Londinium)
21 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
22 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm