From: Mark Bainter <mark-gt@×××××.org>
To: gdjohn@×××××××××××××.uk
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenLDAP user authentication / autofs integration
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:11:26
1 gdjohn@×××××××××××××.uk [gdjohn@×××××××××××××.uk] wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've recently got my Gentoo systems authenticating users/automount'ing
5 > home directories with all of the directory information coming from my
6 > openldap server :)
7 >
8 > What I would like to do is get al of my hard work into the relevant
9 > ebuilds now. I've a query though regarding USE variables. The "ldap" use
10 > variable seems a little overloaded in it's scope - it can be used for
11 > everything from adding ldap address book support in email clients, to
12 > providing ldap user authentication (with a little extra work...).
13 >
14 > I realise that USE variables could quickly become unmanageable if loads
15 > were added, but it would be nice if there were a way to specify, for
16 > example, what sort of authentication you wanted to use (a la RedHat and
17 > others I imagine) and have it work out of the box (or, if you will,
18 > source).
19 >
20 > For things like ldap, I would suggest maybe ldap_client and ldap_auth USE
21 > variables. Is this a bad suggestion...?
24 Hrm...I'd say maybe just add ldap_auth. That way, existing builds
25 won't break, and people won't have to add additional flags to their
26 USE variable (ldap_client) unless they want this new functionality.