From: Georg Rudoy <0xd34df00d@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Does the scm ebuild masking policy make sense for git?
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 09:24:37
1 2014-09-13 21:03 GMT+01:00 Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>:
2 > I would actually expect
3 > there to be a policy which forbids patches on live ebuilds. Make
4 > another live ebuild or maybe an overlay if you want to offer a
5 > different set of commits than the upstream repo.
6 >
7 > For me, the whole point of live ebuilds is that they are the latest
8 > upstream code, no more, no less.
9
10 While I agree with the rest of your message, there should be
11 exceptions from this rule IMO.
12
13 For example, maintainers of my project in other distros keep a set of
14 patches to enable building it with older compilers (as I use C++11
15 pretty extensively, and gcc 4.7 already cannot swallow all of it). The
16 patches for existing code hardly change ever, probably once in a few
17 months.
18 This is hardly applicable to Gentoo though as corresponding ebuilds
19 already require gcc >= 4.8.
22 Georg Rudoy