From: Eldad Zack <eldad@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 20:53:44
1 On Tuesday 01 November 2005 14:39, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > 1.11.2005, 13:26:57, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:16:03 +0100 Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o>
4 > >
5 > > wrote:
6 > > | For them to know about it, they need to be warned when they do their
7 > > | "emerge -p world" or "emerge -a mysql" that the upgrade is not as easy
8 > > | as it seems. People using a cron job to sync are probably a
9 > > | significant part of our user base...
10 > >
11 > > Have Portage give a red flashy before emerge if there're unread news
12 > > items?
13 > >
14 > > Although, a better solution for users who cron sync would be to have
15 > > said cron mail them all the relevant news files...
16 >
17 > Uhm... emerge sync is a *bad* time to display upgrade messages, it's simply
18 > irrelevant at that time, I'm not upgrading anything at the moment and might
19 > not be upgrading for next week or so.
20 >
21 > The messages should be displayed when I'm about to upgrade an ebuild which
22 > has an upgrade note associated with the new version. Sending mail via cron
23 > might be a nice optional feature for those who want to use it.
24
25 I think cron as suggested hit the spot here. I do the same with glsa-check -t
26 all to notify me about security issues present on my system.
31 Eldad Zack <eldad@g.o>
32 Key/Fingerprint at pgp.mit.edu, ID 0x96EA0A93