From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
Cc: phil@×××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:29:54
1 On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 04:40, John Nilsson wrote:
2 > > Not a very convincing argument, is it? So why do you want to use the
3 > > same style of argument here?
4 >
5 > It is not the same thing. If Xfree86 can be argued to be a standard
6 > componet of a system Gentoo can COMPLY with the Xfree86 License AND be
7 > compatible with the GPL for those applications linking wiht Xfree86.
8
9 I am looking at 7 Gentoo boxes right now and only 3 of them have X on
10 them. Only one of them is actually running X currently, but all of them
11 are being used and useful. I also have several machines at work which
12 run Linux and do not have X on them.
13
14 I don't think anyone would buy that *XFree86* is a standard component of
15 a Gentoo system. Not to mention, it seems like you're looking for some
16 way for us to worm our way around the blatant disregard for the GPL that
17 the XFree86 project has shown of late simply for what? A couple
18 drivers? What has really changed in XFree86 4.4 (from the 4.3.9x
19 releases, where the license changed) that is so damn important that we
20 should all simply ignore our morals and bend to XFree86's wishes?
21
22 I would tend to argue *NOTHING* at all is worth that... especially not a
23 few drivers.
24
25 Just my .02USD
28 Chris Gianelloni