From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:07:22
1 begin quote
2 On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:34:32 -0400
3 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > If you want a tree that doesn't change, you can simply not update it
6 > (from the Gentoo mirrors). This is particularly easy if you are
7 > running your own internal rsync mirror, since then you don't even have
8 > to worry about not having a convenient mechanism for distributing the
9 > portage tree to the users. This requires no work from Gentoo -- what
10 > does require significant work, and what some users want, is a tree
11 > that is only updated with bug fixes.
12
13 I know how to create a solid, frozen, environment. Its not that, and
14 that solution is Not An Option. Not syncing means that you don't get
15 securityupdates and so on. So its a losing situation there.
16
17 And I also know how much work it entails to track releases and test
18 updates and patches against the stable tree. (since it requires you to
19 have a dedicated partition/tree for it..)
20
21 I also know that this is a tree we could easily provide a running GRP
22 set against for anyone and their monkey to update with. "emerge sync;
23 emerge -gukK world" should be a safe operation.
24 ( as if.. ;)
25
26 //Spider
31 begin .signature