From: Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using LINGUAS
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 12:26:22
1 On 21/07/14 21:03, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2 > On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 13:23:46 +0900
3 > Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> the OCR software tesseract has many different plugins for
6 >> language packs used for OCR for different languages. The ebuild
7 >> uses the LINGUAS variable to pass the choice of which packages to
8 >> install to the user.
9 >
10 > Every ebuild uses LINGUAS implicitly. What you mean is that you
11 > expand LINGUAS to USE Flags...
12
13 Yes, I did not use the correct terminology.
14
15 >> A reverse dependency is app-text/pdfsandwich which roughly puts
16 >> OCR'ed text in a scanned pdf. Since it uses tesseract it
17 >> supports exactly those languages that tesseract supports.
18 >>
19 >> Should its ebuild have LINGUAS use flags and then depend on
20 >> tesseract with at least those flags set?
21 >
22 > ... in which case you can simply use USE dependencies since you have
23 > USE-expanded flags matching LINGUAS. It should be easy to match one
24 > ebuild's IUSE with another's.
25 >
26 > linguas_tlh? ( app-text/tesseract[linguas_tlh] )
27
28 I know how to specify USE dependcies.
29
30 Since you deleted it, let me ask my question again: If I follow
31 this method I will have 37 dependencies all of this form. This
32 is pointless because
33
34 a) Everytime tesseract gains or loses a language support (it does
35 happen!) the pdfsandwich ebuild needs to be updated,
36
37 b) Nobody wants to set different linguas on tesseract and
38 pdfsandwich anyway.
39
40 Cheers,
41 Thomas