From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: Paul Smith <pausmith@××××××××××××××.com>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ROOT variable (was: Creating multiple "installations" on the same host)
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:13:44
1 On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 01:39, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > > Anyway, I'll continue with this and report problems as I find them.
3 > > Is this better discussed on the gentoo-portage-dev list? Or should I
4 > > just file bugs in Gentoo Bugzilla without discussion? Or...?
5 >
6 > Well, in this case discussion has saved an unnecessary bug being filed,
7 > so I would say that it is a good thing. I'm pretty interested in what
8 > you're doing and saying, and I think quite a few others are judging by
9 > the other responses. Also, while this is mostly portage related, I
10 > think it also would be useful for catalyst and even for people doing
11 > full-fledged virtual services. I think it should stay on -dev provided
12 > it doesn't get too specific to portage alone.
13
14 I just want to throw in my thoughts.
15
16 Can we have separate variables for the following?
17
18 * Build system portage data
19 - portage overlay
20 - edb
21 - make.conf
22 * Build system root
23
24 * Host system portage data
25 - portage overlay
26 - edb
27 - make.conf
28 * Host system root
29
30 Ultimately it should be possible to, with a single installation of
31 portage, maintain several systems that lacks a compiler, libraries and
32 portage.
33
34 Does the separation of depend and rdepend support a gcc-less
35 installation?
36
37 -John