From: Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On the use of bash-completion use flag
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 08:43:19
1 Le mardi 21 juin 2011 à 16:05 +0200, Ulrich Mueller a écrit :
2 > >>>>> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy wrote:
3 >
4 > >> --- Comment #2 from Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> 2011-06-21 09:35:59 UTC ---
5 > >> Afaik, the bash-completion eclass adds the use flag only to make
6 > >> sure the user has bash-completion and eselect packages installed.
7 > >> This is imho overkill and it indeed meets the point that was made
8 > >> on the ml that installing one file that doesn't in itself depends
9 > >> on anything doesn't warrant a USE flag. Maybe the discussion should
10 > >> be brought to dev ML to make the situation clearer for
11 > >> bash-completion too.
12 >
13 > > OK let's hear from the ML. Another good thing from bash-completion
14 > > eclass is that it advertises bash-completion in pkg_postinst (though
15 > > some packages miss this). If we're OK for dev-libs/glib not to use
16 > > bash-completion use flag, what about the others, drop the use flag?
17 >
18 > With the flag, some additional files are installed _and_ additional
19 > dependencies like app-shells/bash-completion (which will pull in
20 > further dependencies) are required. Looks like a perfect case for a
21 > USE flag to me. For example, users of embedded systems may not want to
22 > install such additional packages.
23 >
24 > Ulrich
27 my point was the same that was made for systemd. The service files are
28 useless until you install systemd, yet the eclass doesn't pull systemd.
29
30 Hence my request for ml's opinion about why/how bash-completion is any
31 different ?
34 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
35 Gentoo