From: Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Arfrever@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Support for multiple ABIs (for Python modules etc.)
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:19:44
1 2009-07-26 14:40:13 Marijn Schouten (hkBst) napisaƂ(a):
2 > Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
3 > > I would like to present the plan of support for multiple ABIs. It should be sufficient for
4 > > Python modules and might be also appropriate for some other ABI types (e.g. for Ruby modules).
5 >
6 > In the context of which problem are you brainstorming?
7
8 This proposition is intended to solve multiple problems, but Gentoo Python Project especially
9 would like to have it available during transitions to new Python versions (e.g. Python 3.*).
10 Python 3.1 will be added to the tree in the next week. Over 10 Python modules should work with
11 Python 3, but the majority of packages doesn't work yet. We want to provide possibility of
12 installing Python modules into site-packages directories of multiple Python versions (e.g. 2.6
13 and 3.1). In currently existing EAPIs we *will* support it, but without checking Python ABI
14 dependencies during dependency calculation.
17 Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis