From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: council@g.o, qa@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: backward-incompatible changes in eclasses
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 19:04:00
1 On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 14:00 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 07:36:13PM +0100, David Seifert wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 13:23 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > > > Hey all,
5 > > >
6 > > > it has been brought to my attention that there have been several
7 > > > backward-incompatible changes made to the python eclasses lately.
8 > > >
9 > > > It is true that everything in ::gentoo has been fixed along with the
10 > > > changes to the eclasses; however, when a change like this goes into a
11 > > > widely used eclass it breaks overlays with little to no notice;
12 > > > especially since we do not require developers to be subscribed to this
13 > > > mailing list.
14 > > >
15 > > > I do agree that overlay authors are on their own to fix things, but we
16 > > > need to
17 > > > find a way to notify them when a breaking change is going into a widely
18 > > > used eclass and give them time to adjust their ebuilds.
19 > > >
20 > > > If the old way of doing things cannot be supported
21 > > > along side the new way the correct path forward is a new version of the
22 > > > eclass then a lastrites on the old version. That would give overlay
23 > > > authors time to switch to the new eclass.
24 > > >
25 > > > If the old and new way can be supported in the same code base, a
26 > > > reasonable way forward is to allow both ways to exist while ::gentoo is
27 > > > migrated to the new code path then do the equivalent of a lastrites for
28 > > > the old code path so overlay authors can adjust their ebuilds.
29 > > >
30 > > > Thoughts?
31 > > >
32 > > > William
33 > > >
34 > >
35 > > All of this was announced with a 3 month timeout, using the right channels.
36 > > Have
37 > > you checked all python-related eclasses changes submitted to the ML? In this
38 > > case, eqawarn would not have been possible, because the change involved
39 > > dereferencing a variable.
40 >
41 > This is the change that broke us today.
42 >
43 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/aa45f4f86f9b865eb0fe7344d83a7258
44 >
45 > Where is the three month timeout for it?
46 >
47 > Thanks,
48 >
49 > William
52 Oh I thought you meant the python-single-r1 change from a month ago.