From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 13:00:15
1 On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 06:20:38 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On 08/06/16 16:53, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >> Do you propose that you can have cross-repo dependencies?
5 > > Sure. This works well in Exherbo using Paludis. We could do it
6 > > right now if we wanted to.
7 > >
8 > >> If so that creates a lot of potential issues, even if you do it
9 > >> the NixOS way.
10 > > You should tell Exherbo and NixOS about all these issues that they
11 > > should be having but aren't having.
14 > Perhaps you could explain how they actually prevent the issues I
15 > brought up? Since you didn't actually quote them I'll do so:
16 >
17 > Suppose you have 10 packages, and they each depend on zlib from a
18 > different repository?
19
20 They don't. Packages do not depend upon "zlib from repository x". They
21 depend upon "zlib".
22
23 The Exherbo model is not "packages are all over the place and there is
24 no coordination whatsoever". The model is "packages that lots of people
25 use are in a small number of core repositories and are carefully dealt
26 with to avoid breakages, but packages that have small numbers of users
27 are in personal repositories which everyone can see". Libraries and
28 packages that start to be used by many people get moved to one of the
29 central repositories; one way to tell that this needs to be done is
30 when it looks like the issues you think could happen actually start to
31 happen.
34 Ciaran McCreesh