From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for August
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 16:12:11
2 > Here's the question, gnome's bugzilla has over twice as many bugs as
3 > we have, is quite speedy and doesn't seem to suffer from the OOM
4 > killers that our bugzilla has. So what's the difference? Did gnome
5 > just toss hardware at the problem to make it go away or have they done
6 > something to make bugzilla work for them?
7 >
8 > I think throwing hardware at the problem is the wrong approach in this
9 > case, as its just delaying the problem that has made the new hardware
10 > seem like the solution...which will no doubt creep up again.
13 Because it's not just "more hardware" it's "search queries execute on
14 read-only slaves and write queries execute on the master" which is a
15 design change from how things are done now. If you give bugs a massive
16 search query it can lock a bunch of tables in the current system, which
17 means all those people who are trying to commit stuff to bugs will
18 probably sit waiting for the massive search query to finish ;) Now
19 multiply by a few times since tons of people use our bugzilla and you
20 can imagine this happening quite often.
21
22 In the new system the massive search query will run on the slave system,
23 and it won't affect people making changes; hoewever there may be soem
24 delay between data replication from the master to the slave(s), but that
25 would be implementation dependent (depends on what you use to replicate).
26 --
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list