From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Keysigning at LWE
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:25:54
1 On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 11:46, Fred Van Andel wrote:
2 > I think some people are getting too hung up on the identity thing.
3 >
4 > Within the context of the gentoo community does it matter what the real name of someone is? The only identity that ultimately matters is the identity that has cvs access, and to a lesser extent the identity that appears on irc.
5
6 If someone decides to use a different identity online, that's cool.
7 However, they shouldn't take offense to the rest of us signing each
8 others keys.
9
10 <snip>
11
12 > To me a signature on a gentoo address means that I am verifying that this identity is a gentoo developer, and I don't need to see government ID for that. In fact official ID gets in the way. I know carpaski is a gentoo developer, but I don't know that this particular individual who is presenting me with ID that says "Nicolas Jones" is in fact carpaski. He could be a completely different "Nicolas Jones" and I have no way of telling them apart.
13
14 Some of us use the gentoo.org address as a secondary UID on our primary
15 gpg key. Therefore, I would rather know that who I am signing (and visa
16 versa) is the identity of that person. Best way to do that is with a
17 photo ID.
18
19 If you have a solution for signing keys of people with identities that
20 are not their own, maybe that should be used for those people.
21
22 > I realize this might piss off some and I am sorry, but this has been bothering me for some time and I want to vent.
23
24 No, not at all.. kind of expected some fallout when I posted the
25 idea. There are a few of us who will be signing our keys when we meet
26 at LWE, and so we just wanted to extend the invitation to anyone else in
27 the gentoo community.
28
29 Cheers!
32 Corey Shields - Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Team
33 http://www.gentoo.org/~cshields