From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Maintainership and commit policy
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 09:10:05
1 Hi!
2
3 I renamed the thread since it's not about xchat 1.8.2 anymore.
4
5 > I think if we choose to do this, then we had better rethink the
6 > incoming directory right now. While it may be okay for a few
7 > outstanding user-submitted ebuilds, this scheme has the potential to
8 > cause a lot problems. What we really need is an unstable cvs tree;
9 > then user-submitted ebuilds and non-team developer-hacked ebuilds can
10 > go there until they are verified by team members.
11
12 If we have maintainer of ebuilds (which I think we shall have) I don't
13 think that other people should commit into the CVS tree without his
14 aproval (neither unstable nor stable). It will be very hard for a
15 maintainer of many packages to keep track of what's happening if
16 people just commit at will.
17
18 > I think all we need is maintainer. This is the guy who "puts his rep
19 > on the line." cvs log keeps all the other information. The person
20 > you really want to complain to about a bad ebuild is the maintainer
21 > anyway. Then he can do a cvs log to see who the culprit is and get in
22 > touch.
23
24 This will not be a problem if only the maintainer are allowed to
25 commit (or aprove commits). I think this is the best way to do it.
26
27 If you want to make a commit to an ebuild that you are not maintainer
28 of:
29
30 If you are a developer:
31 1) Send the patch to the maintainer asking if you may commit.
32 2) The maintainer might commit or aprove of you commiting or tell you
33 why it won't go in (and perhaps what you need to fix first).
34
35 Otherwise:
36 1) Send the patch to the maintainer which will either commit or tell
37 you to change the patch in some way.
38
39 This will make it harder for people to commit to all kinds of ebuilds
40 but I think that this is the way we have to do it in the future.
41
42 Of course a maintainer might give a certain person commit rights if he
43 trusts the other developer to do it right.
44
45 Regards,
46 Mikael Hallendal
49 Mikael Hallendal                micke@×××××××××××.se
50 CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/
51 Office: +46 (0)8 587 583 05     Cell: +46 (0)709 718 918