From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: robbat2@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 17:56:25
1 * William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 Hi folks,
4
5 > a significant change is taking place with several upstreams that will affect
6 > us in gentoo, so I wanted to bring it to the list for discussion.
7 >
8 > Udev, kmod (which is a replacement for module-init-tools which will be needed
9 > by >=udev-176), systemd, and soon others, are advocating a major change
10 > to the locations where binaries and libraries are stored on linux
11 > systems.
12 >
13 > The goal is to deprecate /bin, /lib, /sbin and /usr/sbin. My
14 > understanding is that they want to move software that is installed in
15 > /bin, /sbin and /usr/sbin to /usr/bin. Also, they want to move
16 > everything from /lib to /usr/lib.
17
18 Yep, the same issue alreay came up a few weeks ago on @debian.
19
20 I don't want to repeat all the arguments, why these Windows-imitator
21 guys are completely wrong, anymore. (IMHO already been said in this
22 thread).
23
24 If upstream really wants to stick in that silly chance, it's time for
25 a fork. We're already allocating about 20..30hrs per week beginning
26 with 2012/2 for such a project in our resource plan. This stupidity
27 can become really dangerous thousands of systems around the world,
28 so it needs to be stopped.
29
30 BTW: the original argument (AFAIK) is that moving everything to
31 /usr should somehow make maintenance easier. Well, how actually ?
32 Perhaps for people who are too lazy to backup a few more directories ?
33 Silly.
34
35 Actually, at this point, I'd raise the question why not dropping
36 /usr instead (in little steps). The impact is practically the
37 same (well, replaces the risk of unbootable system by the risk
38 of filling up separated / filesystems) but would remove an
39 then obsolete additional directory. ;-O
43 cu
44 --
46 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
47
48 phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@×××××.de
49 mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666
51 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme