From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Changelogs
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:15:27
1 Hi,
2
3 Duncan wrote:
4 > and see what's up, or one can visit the website and check it out there,
5 > but for such a critical part of a Gentoo machine's infrastructure, one
6 > would certainly wish for something a bit easier than either of these.
7
8 Erm, is that a joke? You want an easier way than browsing to a web page
9 and read? Why should portage go different ways than every other software
10 project?
11
12 > Expanding on the idea a bit further, what about creating a generic "emerge
13 > changelog" function, that fetches the tarball if necessary, then extracts
14 > only the changelog, and opens it for viewing (presumably using the $PAGER
15 > environmental variable to determine what to display it with)? Naturally,
16 > given Gentoo can't control the upstream changelog format, enforcing
17 > parseability rules as it does for its own, the entire changelog would of
18 > necessity be displayed, leaving the user to figure out the relevant
19 > cutoffs instead of doing it automatically as emerge -pl does with the
20 > portage tree changelogs, but it'd still be a rather easier way to view
21 > upstream changelogs before installation (or for that matter, after) than
22 > we have now.
23
24 Portage is a package manager. package managers have to manage package
25 versions and their dependencies. They do NOT have to be fancy changelog
26 readers. As you already stated, it's not the developers responsibility
27 to get you upgrade information. While I can see a great benefit in
28 putting important information into the changelog, I really can't see why
29 portage should provide functions to read a changelog, when nearly all
30 packages provide the same information on their homepages. Additionally,
31 if you really have to read the changelog before emerging the new
32 version, the information is really important, and I'm sure it will show
33 up in portage's changelog.
34
35 Please don't make portage a news reader.
36
37 Regards,
40 Simon Stelling
41 Gentoo/AMD64 Operational Co-Lead