From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package configuration
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:24:38
1 On Mon, 2001-11-19 at 17:50, Geert Bevin wrote:
2 > > Usually, portage addresses this by providing good defaults and then
3 > > documentation for less standard configuration. If you need something to
4 > > be executed (non-optionally) after merge, you can define a
5 > > pkg_postinst() function in your ebuild. I think this addresses a large
6 > > percentage of the cases without adding a more complex mechanism.
7 >
8 > Problem is this example situation. I install postgres which creates the
9 > default database by default. Then one day I want to upgrade and again a
10 > default database is created and it overwrites the existing one ....
11 > major catastrophy ! Having a setup script available and notifying the
12 > user of its existance makes it easy to install a default setup without
13 > having to wade through the manuals of all the software before being able
14 > to use it and protects an unwary user from accidentally erasing or
15 > overwriting existing data files.
18 What about the setup script (or pkg_postinst() ) checking if the default
19 database exist before creating it ?
20
21 > > Some sort of post-install user interaction has been discussed, with
22 > > everything from an interactive config GUI to listing recommended
23 > > documentation. This may be written eventually, but the set of possible
24 > > solutions is large, diverse, and heavily dependant on personal taste,
25 > > all of which tend to slow down the actual writing of code.
26 >
27 > Imho, starting with basic bash scripts is a good approach. When text ui
28 > and gui become available additional support for those can be added
29 > later.
32 > --
33 > Geert Bevin
34 > the Leaf sprl/bvba
35 > "Use what you need" Pierre Theunisstraat 1/47
36 > http://www.theleaf.be 1030 Brussels
37 > gbevin@×××××××.be Tel & Fax +32 2 241 19 98
40 > gentoo-dev mailing list
41 > gentoo-dev@g.o