From: Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: Alastair Tse <liquidx@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] python-2.3.2 testing required
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:10:17
1 On Wednesday 12 November 2003 18:46, Alastair Tse wrote:
2
3 That all looks good. Im keen to give it a spin...
4
5 > The reason why I'm not making this default is because UCS4 python uses
6 > more memory. An example is supybot (Python IRC bot) that uses 8M for
7 > UCS2 and 13M for UCS4.
8
9 Ive not used ucs4 python yet, but it is one of the things I was looking
10 forward to in version 2.3. It would much nicer to leave ucs2 behind.
11
12 If ucs4 strings were the only cause of that difference, supybot would need to
13 be storing 2.5 million unicode characters. I guess that isnt likely.
14 Excluding bugs, I dont see any reason why a program that doesnt use any
15 unicode objects would use more memory when running on a ucs4 python
16 interpreter.
17
18 > But note that this example is not scientific
19 > because the machines were different in kernel version, compiler and
20 > compiler optimisations.
21
22 Those reasons sound much more plausibe to me. Does anyone have a more
23 scientific comparison of the effect of the ucs4 option on python?
27 Toby Dickenson
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list