From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@×××××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 23:26:20
1 On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 07:13:21PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > The only thing that gets signed is the commit message, and the only
3 > thing that ties the commit message to the code is the sha1 of the
4 > top-level tree. If you can attack sha1 either at any tree level or at
5 > the blob level you can defeat the signature.
6 >
7 > That is way better than nothing though - I think it is worth pursuing
8 > until somebody comes up with a way to upgrade git to more secure
9 > hashes. Most projects don't gpg sign their trees at all, including
10 > linux.
11
12 I'm not worried about the attack (as I explained earlier in this
13 thread). I'm just arguing for signing first-parent commits to master,
14 and not worrying about signatures on any side-branch commits. So long
15 as the merge gets signed, you've got all the security you're going to
16 get. Leaving the side-branch commits unchanged allows you to preserve
17 any non-dev commit hashes, which makes it easier for contributors to
18 verify that their changes have landed (the same way that GitHub is
19 checking to know when to automatically close pull requests).
20
21 Cheers,
22 Trevor
25 This email may be signed or encrypted with GnuPG (http://www.gnupg.org).