From: "D. Wokan" <wokan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is anyone a prude?
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 06:19:33
1 znmeb@×××××××.net wrote:
2
3 >Quoting Krzysiek Pawlik <krzysiek.pawlik@××××××.pl>:
7 >>purslow@×××××××××.ca wrote:
10 >>>>Visit it's site: http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/bf/
11 >>>>- You'll know why 'parodical'.
12 >>>>
13 >>>>
14 >>>not really: it looks like something which might have real uses.
15 >>>
16 >>>
17 >>Hm... harder than perl, uglier than perl - nope. I think I'll stay with
18 >>C/C++ and Python :)
22 >>>it's a pity its inventor gave it such an ugly name,
23 >>>but some people are like that ... (smile).
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >>If someone doesn't like it's name - use acronym - bf
30 >>>since the name is well-established, no objection here to adding it to
31 >>>
32 >>>
33 >>Gentoo.
34 >>
35 >>I'm not a dev, but I don't have any objections too.
39 >Well ... someone's gotta step in and say "No!", so I will. I've just witnessed
40 >and participated in a semi-debate on the value of devoting effort to
41 >Gentoo/CygWin. If Gentoo/CygWin isn't worth the effort to maintain, why on
42 >Earth are the developers wasting time on maintaining a package that does
43 >absolutely nothing but *syntax coloring* in a *single* editor for a language
44 >with a questionable name that is an 8-instruction Turing complete environment
45 >limited to a 30 kilobyte address space?
46 >
47 >Does Gentoo support the free APL derivative A Plus? How's that Axiom package
48 >coming along? How about ebuilds for Common Lisp Music and Common Music
49 >Notation? The x86-64 arch work -- that's all done, right? The GLSA integration
50 >with Portage?
51 >
52 >I'm not going to leave Gentoo because it supports vim syntax coloring for
53 >brainfuck and Fedora and Debian don't. And I'm not going to leave Gentoo if
54 >Debian supports it and Gentoo doesn't either. I simply think that just because
55 >something is easy doesn't necessarily mean it should be done. In this
56 >particular case, rather than ask if anyone **objects** to the package, let me
57 >ask "Is there a *compelling* reason why it **should** be in the Portage tree?"
58 >--
59 >gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
62 Because there's someone who seems willing to create and maintain it.
63 Apparently nobody has enough interest in those other packages to do so.
64 Why don't you hire someone to do it for you since it sounds like you
65 aren't really wanting to do so either. Maybe they'll give you a break
66 on rates if you let them submit it to Gentoo with their names on it
67 (even though the ebuilds would be works for hire).
68 --
69 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list