From: Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting proper USE_EXPAND variable(s) for multilib
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 23:11:29
1 Le lundi 21 janvier 2013 à 00:01 +0100, Thomas Sachau a écrit :
2 > Michał Górny schrieb:
3 > > Hello,
4 > >
5 > > There is a fair interest in multilib and while still early, it would be
6 > > a good moment to decide on how USE flags to use for it.
7 > >
8 > > The current attempts are mostly using USE=multilib which is not really
9 > > expressive and poor. What I would go for is a clear variable specifying
10 > > which targets package is built for.
13 > > This raises the following questions:
14 > >
15 > > 1) do we want the default ABI to be switchable?
16 > >
17 > > 2) do we want irrelevant ABIs to be visible to emerge users?
18 > >
19 > > By 2) I mean: do we want the users to see stuff like:
20 > >
21 > > MULTILIB_ABIS="amd64_abi1 amd64_abi2 -amd64_abi3 (-ppc64_abi1)
22 > > (-ppc64_abi2) (-ppc64_abi3) ..."
23 > >
24 > > or just the relevant part.
25 > >
26 > > To be honest, I don't know if there's other way to hide USE flags than
27 > > using USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN. If we want to use that, we'd have to split
28 > > the flags per-arch, i.e. have:
29 > >
30 > > MULTILIB_AMD64="abi1 abi2 abi3"
31 > > MULTILIB_PPC64="abi1 abi2 abi3"
32 > >
33 > > with appropriate USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN set by profiles.
36 > > What are your thoughts? Which arches would like to use multilib? What
37 > > names for ABIs do you suggest?
40 > So you want to re-implement multilib-portage in an eclass without the
41 > additional benefits a package-manager level implementation has?
42
43 Well that's the point of the eclass that was proposed a few days ago
44 allow building multiple ABIs. Having clear USE-dep like python-r1.eclass
45 is imho the way to go.
46
47 As said in another reply of this thread, USE=multilib really is a
48 solution that has its problems (no fine PM control for ABIs, slow
49 updates of emul-pkgs) to the current problem and portage-multilib, well
50 it's a subject that pops up from time to time I have no idea how and
51 will it will come nor do I have time to help on that front.
52
53 However this eclass would enable quick and easy per-ebuild support for
54 multiple ABIs just like python-r1 and friends, and this is a good thing
55 for every maintainer that wants to provide this kind of support. I know
56 I would, at least to get rid of the always lagging emul packages.
59 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
60 Gentoo