From: Larry Siden <lsiden@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Linux 1.4 Installation Instructions
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 17:41:57
1 Hello. When I installed a Linux system on my PC using the instructions in
2 re http://www.gentoo.org/doc/build.html, I had the following problem:
3
4 After booting from a CD-ROM with the image livecd-basic-1.4_rc1-r2.iso, I
5 reached section "8.Obtaining the desired stage-x tarball". Using lynx, I
6 browsed to ibiblio and attempted to download
7 stage3-i686_pentium2-1.4_rc1.tar.bz2. After the download completed, Lynx
8 gave an error message "Cannot write file" (I'm paraphrasing). I never got
9 the prompt asking me where I wanted to create the file. Then, I figured out
10 that I have to set the env var LYNX_FILES_DIR=/tmp. That helped. Now it
11 could create the file, but there was still a "Cannot write file" message,
12 and the file was truncated to around 50-something Megagytes, so I couldn't
13 untar everything. Very uncool!
14
15 First of all, if Lynx requires LYNX_FILES_DIR to be set to something it can
16 write to, that should be set somewhere like /etc/profile, so it will be
17 taken care of. Second, I think there may be some limitation in Lynx that
18 prevents downloading files over a certain size. If that's the case, there
19 should be a way to install the later stages from a CD, but alas, umount
20 wouldn't allow me to remove the boot CD because it was still busy (that
21 where it loads the kernel from!).
22
23 BTW - this is not caused by lack of disk space. I have plenty on my root
24 partition. I succeeded in downloading and untarring all of the stage 2
25 tarba,
26 I did succeed in downloading all of stage2-i686_pentium2-1.4_rc1.tar.bz2.
27
28 Please update your docs to explain how to overcome these problems.
29
30 Respectfully,
31 Larry Siden
32 Pittsfield Twp., MI