From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 13:02:56
1 On Tue, 2020-12-29 at 13:41 +0100, Toralf Förster wrote:
2 > On 12/29/20 1:23 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > 2. Stuff that builds just fine but fails at runtime in
4 > > unpredictable
5 > > ways (e.g. Tor mentioned today).
6 >
7 > FWIW that's exactly what I do suffer from at my Tor relays.
8 >
9 > Beside that a naive question: Wouldn't it be siufficient to just
10 > have/keep the libressl overlay/repo?
11 > So whoever wants to use LibreSSL in future just configure its portage
13 > use that?
16 I don't have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is:
17
18 1. People submitting bad patches upstream (but I guess that's
19 inevitable).
20
21 2. Maintaining downstream patches forever.
22
23 3. Being blocked by libressl patches no longer applying.
24
25 I wouldn't mind keeping LibreSSL if it was possible to actually
26 maintain it without causing these problems. But I don't think it's
27 possible to do that.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny