From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new eclass: systemd-next.eclass
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 20:57:16
1 On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 04:15:03PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 3:43 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > > I am sending this out for review so we can commit it to the tree
4 > > when we commit our alternate systemd ebuild in a few days. This will be
5 > > set up so that users can choose which systemd package they want to
6 > > install, and it will default to the current systemd package.
7 >
8 > Did I miss some kind of announcement for what is going on here? An
9 > additional implementation in portage along with an eclass probably is
10 > worth some kind of intro on-list. I don't think you need to seek
11 > approval/etc, but it would be nice to know what your goals/etc are.
12 > Is this just a different installation/configuration approach, or is
13 > this some kind of upstream fork?
14
15 It is not an upstream fork, it is a configuration/installation
16 approach that follows upstream's recommendations for install locations.
17 It also allows the user more choices wrt which parts of systemd are
18 built or installed and allows more fine-grained use dependencies for
19 other packages.
20
21 William