From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About suggesting to create a separate partition for portage tree in handbook
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 08:07:45
1 El mar, 27-03-2012 a las 16:05 -0400, Alec Moskvin escribió:
2 > On Tuesday 27 March 2012 14:34:03, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 20:01 +0200, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
4 > > > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 07:49:00PM +0200, Pacho Ramos wrote:
5 > > > > I am a bit surprised handbook still doesn't suggest people to create a
6 > > > > separate partition for /usr/portage tree. I remember my first Gentoo
7 > > > > systems had it inside / and that lead to a lot of fragmentation, much
8 > > > > slower "emerge -pvuDN world" (I benchmarked it when I changed my
9 > > > > partitioning scheme to put /usr/portage) separate and a lot of disk
10 > > > > space lost (I remember portage tree reached around 3 GB of disk space
11 > > > > while I am now running with 300MB)
12 > > > >
13 > > > > Could handbook suggest people to put /usr/portage on a different
14 > > > > partition then? The only doubt I have is what filesystem would be better
15 > > > > for it, in my case I am using reiserfs with tail enabled, but maybe you
16 > > > > have other different setups.
17 > > >
18 > > > To be honest, I don't think it is wise to describe it in the Gentoo Handbook
19 > > > just yet. I don't mind having it documented elsewhere, but the separate
20 > > > partition is not mandatory for getting Gentoo up and running. The
21 > > > instructions currently also just give an example partition layout and tell
22 > > > users that different layouts are perfectly possible.
23 > > >
24 > > > We need to take into consideration what is needed (must) for a Gentoo
25 > > > installation, what is seriously recommended (should), what is nice to have
26 > > > (could), etc. And for me, having a separate /usr/portage is a nice-to-have
27 > > > imo.
28 > >
29 > > The partitioning scheme is something that the user needs to decide on
30 > > *before* getting Gentoo up and running. After the user had finished
31 > > installing the operating system, it's too late to inform him about the
32 > > advantages of a separate /usr/portage.
33 >
34 > It does not have to be a separate *physical* partition. It could be set
35 > up as a loop device without any real downsides:
36 >
37 > /usr/portage/tree.ext4 /usr/portage/tree ext4 loop,noatime 0 0
38 >
39 > An advantage is that it can be easily resized if necessary.
40 >
41 > > IMHO, chapter 4 of the handbook needs the following changes:
42 > >
43 > > 1. ext4, not ext3, needs to be recommended as the default filesystem. We
44 > > have kernel 3.2 marked stable, there is no need to keep talking about
45 > > ext4 as if it's something experimental.
46 > >
47 > > 2. The handbook should mention that a separate small /usr/portage
48 > > partition can noticeably improve performance for users with a rotational
49 > > hard drive, and that it's not needed for solid-state drives. It should
50 > > also mention that using Gentoo with a separate /usr/portage partition
51 > > will require some additional configuration (such as changing DISTDIR and
52 > > PKGDIR to avoid running out of space).
53 > >
54 > > -Alexandre.
60 (I think this last reply can complete my replies to this thread for
61 now :))
62
63 Looks then that there are several alternatives for portage tree, then,
64 maybe the option would be to add a note to Gentoo Handbook explaining
65 the cons of having portage tree on a standard partition and, then, put a
66 link to a wiki page (for example) where all this alternatives are
67 explained.
68
69 What do you think about this approach?