From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Add bc back to the stage3
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 11:58:09
1 On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
2 > The bc utility is part of the posix tools and it might be used to build
3 > linux among the other stuff.
6 I'm fine with including useful utilities in the stage3s, as long as
7 they don't go into the system set. We really need to get beyond
8 equating the two. Otherwise our systems will become a jumble of stuff
9 that somebody finds useful for something, and then when we remove some
10 of it we'll get occasional breakage because nobody will declare them
11 as dependencies. That just isn't in the spirit of Gentoo.
12
13 The system set should only contain stuff that a large percentage of
14 the tree needs to depend on (let's say more than 20%), or which is
15 required to be available to bootstrap the rest of the tree.
16
17 Once mix-in-like support is available, then profiles can be a dumping
18 ground for anything anybody finds useful, and the more the merrier...
21 Rich