From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] PMS EAPI 3 more or less ready
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 20:00:28
1 I've got the EAPI 3 branch for PMS more or less ready:
2
3 http://github.com/ciaranm/pms/tree/eapi-3
4
5 The provisional included feature list is everything that was ready
6 before the deadline.
7
8 Before the next Council meeting (ideally a week before, so we've got
9 time to get the questions worked out), I'd appreciate it if every
10 Council member could go through each item on the list below, check its
11 description in PMS (Appendix E has a handy list of links to the
12 relevant text, or look for the boxed labels in the margin) and
13 provisionally mark it as one of:
14
15 * critical: EAPI 3 needs to be held up until this feature is in Portage.
16
17 * yes: This feature should be in EAPI 3, but can be dropped if it turns
18 out it's going to take ages to get into Portage.
19
20 * no: This feature shouldn't be in EAPI 3.
21
22 * whatever: You have no strong opinion on whether this feature should
23 be in EAPI 3.
24
25 * query: You have questions about this feature, or you think parts of
26 it need discussion, or you've found a mistake in the PMS draft.
27
28 I'll try to address any queries as they come so people can update their
29 opinions.
30
31 I'd also appreciate any review of wording features from anyone else.
32 There are probably still a few holes.
33
34 Hopefully we can get a final list decided upon and provisionally
35 approved by the next Council meeting, and then as soon as Portage is
36 ready to go we can merge everything into PMS proper and get a signed
37 approval tag as we did for EAPI 2.
38
39 Here's the list:
40
41 * PKG-PRETEND
42 * SLOT-OPERATOR-DEPS
43 * USE-DEP-DEFAULTS
44 * DEFINED-PHASES
45 * PROPERTIES
46 * SRC-INSTALL
47 * CONTROLLABLE-COMPRESS
48 * DODOC
49 * DOINS
50 * ANY-USE
51 * BANNED-COMMANDS
52 * DOEXAMPLE
53 * DOINCLUDE
54 * UNPACK-EXTENSIONS
55 * ECONF-OPTIONS
56 * PKG-INFO
57 * PROFILE-IUSE-INJECTION
58 * AA
59 * KV
60 * REPLACE-VERSION-VARS
61 * S-WORKDIR-FALLBACK
62 * UNPACK-IF-COMPRESSED
63 * RDEPEND-DEPEND
64 * DIE-ON-FAILURE
65 * NONFATAL
66
67 Some answers to existing queries that I can remember:
68
69 * DEFINED-PHASES and PROPERTIES have to be EAPI linked because of the
70 metadata cache.
71
72 * ANY-USE is already special cased in the package manager and
73 specification. Everywhere that's using it is doing it wrong. It's
74 possible to rewrite the dep to mean same thing using an expanded
75 form, although it'll still be impossible to use it correctly if you
76 do that.
77
78 * ECONF-OPTIONS is very unlikely to break custom configure scripts. We
79 already pass various weird things through econf, so any configure
80 script that dies on unrecognised options is probably going to break
81 anyway. No-one's managed to name a configure script that would be
82 broken by this change that isn't already not using econf anyway.
85 Ciaran McCreesh