From: Tony Clark <tclark@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] maybe it is time to put portage queries into a database.
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:41:51
1 On Wednesday 25 June 2003 00.16, Brian Jackson wrote:
2 > Totally agree. I have 5 Gentoo boxes at work (probably more soon), and it
3 > takes a ridiculously long amount of time to do searches. One thing I would
4 > suggest is to develop as an external tool, and once it matures, then shoot
5 > for inclusion into portage. another suggestion would be for it to support
6 > more than one type of db (sleepycat, postgres, mysql, gdbm for example). If
7
8 Yes, it would be nice to make it that way. I guess something like client ->
9 client-db-interface-layer -> db-of-choice.
10
11 > you try to make some postgres zealot put mysql on just to query packages,
12 > you are going to get some very unhappy words directed your way. I can try
13 > to help also in my spare time.
14
15 Well there are plenty of perl modules to handle client-db-interface-layer but
16 I suspect they will all have different APIs for the client. My thoughts are
17 get one system to work then build on that. So long as the design is modular,
18 that should be too difficult for those interested. :)
19
20 tony
23 > --Brian Jackson
24 >