From: KOMACHI Mamoru <usata@××××××××××××××××××××.jp>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fwd: AboutGentoo Linux
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 08:44:21
1 Hi, I'm not a developer but a user who started to use Gentoo last week, but
2 I also feel portage comfortable.
3
4 On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 05:46:21PM +0200, Yovko Ilchev Yovkov wrote:
5
6 > Till few days ago my favourite distribution was Slacware, becouse I like
7 > high aalablity customising. But with slack there was some problems to tell
8 > it "UPDATE YOUSELF".
9
10 The day before yesterday I tried to put portage on Slackware, and all I did
11 was just copying portage tree, portage bin & lib (symlinks as well),
12 /var/cache/edb and /etc/make* stuff(accordingly /etc/env.d), but it seems
13 working now. You can merge, unmerge and upgrade you system with portage on
14 Slackware.
15
16 I made Slackware tgz package to install portage onto slack, but I don't
17 think you need it because it is too easy!
18
19 > I tried also Debian. But there is too old pckages.
20
21 Have you tried testing or unstable? You could use testing/unstable packages
22 on stable using PIN or recompile testing/unstable packages from deb-src...
23
24 > I was thinking obout do start to develop Linux with FreeBSD package
25 > system.
26
27 Just FYI, there is a project from NetBSD pkgsrc(although the number of
28 pkgsrc is limited compared to FreeBSD ports):
29
30 http://www.netbsd.org/zoularis/
31
32 Now I'm exploring portage tree and playing with ebuild files. Thank you for
33 all the developers of Gentoo Linux.
36 KOMACHI Mamoru <usata@××××××××××××××××××××.jp>
37 http://www.sodan.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~usata/