From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages that explicitly DEPEND on sys-apps/sed
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 18:13:41
1 On 16:27 Tue 14 Jun , Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:08:54AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > And no, I don't think that Gentoo should fully support reduced-@system
4 > > builds, but there is no harm in making them more of a viable option.
5 >
6 > Personally... I think gentoo should aim for it actually. Question is
7 > how close we can get to it w/out overly burdening developers.
8
9 Where this has been most useful for me is when I'm building out a
10 minimal system (e.g., a diskless terminal or cluster node) using
11 ROOT=/somewhere/else. It's nice to just start emerging stuff there
12 instead of having to unpack a stage1 or something first.
13
14 I wonder if we need another set that's really @base (truly minimal, like
15 what Mike posted elsewhere), so @system would then serve as what we
16 think is necessary for a running Gentoo installation.
17
18 On a related note that would accomplish similar purposes, it would also
19 be nice if we could somehow discriminate between DEPEND and RDEPEND for
20 @system packages so build-only deps could be removed.
23 Thanks,
24 Donnie
25