From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Project proposal -- maintainer-wanted
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 23:42:01
1 On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 12:08 -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > On Thu, 14 May 2009 03:32:12 +0300
3 > Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Project maintainer-wanted
6 > > =========================
7 > >
8 > > Abstract:
9 > > There are currently quite some package requests (over 3000) languishing
10 > > on bugzilla waiting for a developer or team to get interested and
11 > > package it in the official gentoo-x86 portage tree. However in quite
12 > > some cases that might not happen for quite a while even with very
13 > > popular packages desired by users. The purpose of the maintainer-wanted
14 > > project is to get as many of such packages to the official tree as
15 > > possible as a stopgap solution.
16 >
17 > Actually, I'm working on a "get the crap out of the tree" project that is
18 > pretty much the exact opposite of this. ;)
19
20 I don't think it opposes it much, maybe only 2-5% of maintainer-needed
21 packages.
22 Popular packages aren't crap. Their packaging ease might be, but
23 obviously people want to use those if they are popular, hence we can't
24 dub them really "crap".
25 We could say those packages are "crap" that get building bugs filed by
26 tinderbox runs from Patrick, Diego and other such people, while no-one
27 else has cared. The maintainer-wanted project would not be interested in
28 any such packages. Those are obviously dead applications/libraries that
29 are in no way popular and very beneficial to carry in the official tree.
30
31 > But, things I like:
32 >
33 > - metrics for package popularity (can we do gentoo-stats already?)
34
35 Yeah, that'd be cool. Some other metrics ideas I brought out that can be
36 used for this projects purposes while there is no gentoo-stats.
37
38 > - encouraging teams and maintainers to take an interest in unmaintained
39 > packages
40
41 It being a project/team making it more likely it doesn't degrade over
42 time when there is no dedicated team maintaining this. Maybe we could
43 make it so that when a package maintained by someone specific
44 (individual or team) that was taken over from maintainer-wanted would
45 drop back to maintainer-wanted team instead of maintainer-needed herd,
46 as the latter currently has technically no members.
47
48 > - keeping track of maintainer-wanted/needed packages through categorization,
49 > etc.
50 > - proxy-maintainers
51 >
52 > These things I think would benefit both projects, as well as several others.
53 >
54 > I would actually rather see our overall package count dropping than growing,
55 > but if we're adding quality, maintained stuff and tossing out the garbage then
56 > I guess that's an improvement too.
57
58 Indeed.
61 Mart Raudsepp