From: Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] invalid <herd> in metadata.xml
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 01:25:01
1 Thilo Bangert wrote:
2 > Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> said:
3 >> Thilo Bangert wrote:
4 >>> All packages with <herd>maintainer-needed</herd> will be moved to
5 >>> <herd>no-herd</herd>.
6 >> maintainer-needed is different from no-herd. no-herd is valid when a
7 >> dev is maintaining a pkg outside of a herd. no-herd is not valid for
8 >> when the package is entirely unmaintained, maintainer-needed would be a
9 >> better tag for it. I would not make that change.
10 >
11 > if that were so, we would need to document it.
12 > from my reading of the current policies[1,2,3] <herd> is required and
13 > either no-herd or in herds.xml, no-herd only being allowed if no herd
14 > fits.
15
16 This is where all the discussions died from last time, that I can tell. We
17 never really decided on a specific policy change, and nothing got documented, or
18 done.
19
20 In the end, we still have a few ebuilds in the tree that have no maintainer or
21 no herd, and nobody really cares since all the portage utilities work around it
22 anyway.
23
24 Still, as a matter of QA, it'd be nice to fix.
25
26 Steve
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list