From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bug voting
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 07:52:59
1 maillog: 28/07/2004-07:55:16(+0100): Tom Wesley types
2 > On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 02:46 +0300, Tommi Pirinen wrote:
3 > > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > >
5 > > >I've been flamed by a couple of users for not adding a broken gtk-2 file
6 > > >selector patch to gvim. There're several "please add my horridly broken
7 > > >ebuild for this lame package which is full of bugs and unmaintained
8 > > >upstream" bugs which I'd love to close as WONTFIX, but past experience
9 > > >has shown that it's generally easiest to just leave them alone. Closing
10 > > >a bug as WONTFIX really upsets some people, no matter what the reason.
11 > > >If I ignore a bug instead, chances are no-one's gonna know that I'm the
12 > > >person to flame :)
13 > > >
14 > > >
15 > > Well, there will unfortunately be some of those kind of users as well.
16 > > But still, when bumping in to bugs like this all an end user sees is
17 > > that there's an untouched bug that no one seems to care about, most
18 > > probably the user won't know the brokedness of issue but will rather
19 > > deduce ignorance or laziness of maintainers. The issue is problematic
20 > > though, and I don't know a definitive answer which would work for all,
21 > > but I'd still like a bit more response to bug reports from time to time.
22 > > It's very frustrating to send bug reports when it seems that no one
23 > > reads them.
24 >
25 > I agree with this point. If a dev is scared (/me uses word gently in
26 > case my vision of an angry Scott as Ciaran is true) of marking bugs they
27 > wont fix as WONTFIX then they just appear untouched and obviously adds a
28 > huge amount of apparently open bugs.
29 >
30 > Surely a quick comment to say "Patch breaks <something> and not
31 > supported upstream, WONTFIX" is better in that case
32
33 I'd also like to add that intentionally leaving a bug open in this case
34 is *very* irresponsible.
37 -* Georgi Georgiev -* In order to get a loan you must first -*
38 *- chutz@×××.net *- prove you don't need it. *-
39 -* +81(90)6266-1163 -* -*
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list