From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy regarding the inactive members
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:05:26
1 /me puts on his asbestos underwear
2
3 Markos Chandras wrote:
4 > So the attendance to council meetings is enough to prove that a member is
5 > active? 0_o
6
7 Yes. Anything else is just too hard to measure, imo. If you notice a
8 council member acting w/o knowing what the heck is going on, then vote
9 him down next election.
10
11 > place on the mailing list. Because I really doubt that *all* council members
12 > are reading the mailing list in daily basis so they get to know everything
13 > that is going on to Gentoo.
14
15 This is impossible. Council should follow -council and debate points
16 pushed onto their agenda via -dev. At least that's my understanding.
17
18 > The only council
19 > members who look active to me are Petteri and Denis.
20
21 While I applaud Denis and Petteri for taking a stand on the pit that
22 -dev is, I doubt council members should be required to participate here.
23 They can vote on an issue without discussing their opinion first, based
24 on their technical/social experience (which is what I voted them in for,
25 in the first place)
26
27 > A council member is inactive when:
28 >
29 > 1) He is inactive in critical discussions ( such as the whole Phoenix
30 > discussion ) for a certain period of time
31
32 Please, no. Or we start to get -council/-dev threads about why a certain
33 thread here is not considered critical by half of the council when they
34 don't reply. If you can't put a number on it, please don't make it a
35 hard requirement.
36
37 > 2) Fails to accomplish his role by supervising the Gentoo projects.
38
39 This isn't even in their domain. I would complain *loud* about any
40 council member interfering with projects unless it's an inter-project
41 issue. The council is meant for arbitration and vision, not for
42 commanding devs.
43
44 > Remember we have plenty of Gentoo projects nearly dead and there is
45 > no way for us to participate since contacting the project leaders is
46 > a no-go.
47
48 Huh? That's what I did with php. Chtekk was most helpful, and because
49 he's no longer active (wish him all the best!), nobody stopped me from
50 updating the projects pages to reflect that (after speaking to the team,
51 of course!)
52
53 Rather than relying on the council for whatever "leadership" you want,
54 please just DO something that scratches YOUR itch. I'm aware our current
55 technical/social infrastructure is not up to par on handling large scale
56 contributions by hundreds of users/non-devs. I realize there's this
57 impression that every time you have an idea there's a mob of people
58 stoning your idea to death. I have however observed that the more mature
59 (read: the more implemented code) your idea is, the smaller the stones.
60 And if your idea is good enough, others might use their stones for
61 building instead of mud-slinging.
62
63 Just my 2cent.