From: "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <mva@×××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [brainstorm] dev-lang internal package managers and portage
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 19:15:15
1 Hi there!
2 Long time ago I discovered that many language-specific packages
3 (libraries, webapps) written on languages like PHP, Ruby, Lua and so on
4 has (often) almost hardcoded dependence to be installed via their native
5 package managers (pecl, cpan, luarocks, gem, bundler and so on).
6 More of that, I discovered quite spiked way to install lang-specific
7 packages in portage (fakegem eclass, pecl-php eclass and so on).
8 Thinking in that way guided me to suggest to develop some kind of
9 compatibility layer between portage (and sandboxed installation) and
10 that lang-specific package managers.
11 So then it will be almost unneeded to, for example, write tons of new
12 local ebuilds when installing, for example new version of redmine. Or to
13 write tons of spikes when installing some PHP or Lua apps, designed for
14 pecl or luarocks respectively.
15
16 But on the other hand — QA issues. I afraid, that it will make us
17 responsible to upstream failures (in users eyes).
18
19 Anyway, let's discuss some ideas on that behaviour.
22 BTW, this post is mainly sponsored by great PITA about deploying rails
23 applications and trying to get them to work with system-wide dev-ruby/*
24 things installed (while upstream REQUIRES to use bundler). It is also
25 minor-sponsored by some kepler-project apps (Lua) and some PHP apps.