From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] any interest in removing /usr/qt and /usr/kde ?
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:44:02
1 On Monday 20 September 2004 00:23, Joshua J. Berry wrote:
2 >
3 > No, that's not the way the FHS interprets "add-on".
4 >
5 > "Distributions may install software in /opt, but must not modify or
6 > delete software installed by the local system administrator without the
7 > assent of the local system administrator."
8 >
9 > By your logic, Gentoo has no business sticking *anything* in /opt.
10 >
11 > I don't think packages in /opt (acroread, sun-jdk, openoffice, et al)
12 > violate the FHS, and if they don't, then I don't see why KDE/Qt in /opt
13 > would.
14
15 The big difference is there are many packages that actively depend on kde.
16 While all those other packages can be seen as "self-contained". They are
17 leaf nodes in the dependency tree. Kde certainly isn't (well, kdelibs and
18 kdebase at least).
19
20 Paul
23 Paul de Vrieze