From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] openssl and preserve_old_lib_notify pitfall
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 16:33:13
Hi,

Just by accident I noticed during emerge something that may lead to major confusion: the just stabilized openssl-1.0.0-r3 contains the following code:

pkg_postinst() {
        has_version ${CATEGORY}/${PN}:0.9.8 && return 0
        preserve_old_lib_notify /usr/$(get_libdir)/lib{crypto,ssl}.so.0.9.8
}

However, portage in my case first updated openssl (slot 0) from 0.9.8 to this version, _printing out the preserve_old_lib_notify message_, and then afterwards installed openssl-0.9.8o-r2.

Net result: if I had relied on the elog messages alone, I would have messed up my system by deleting the required files from openssl:0.9.8...

I have no clue how this could be improved, though. Any ideas?

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer - kde, sci, sunrise