From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Invitation for discussion
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:24:53
1 begin quote
2 On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:21:52 -0500
3 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > > gtk == enable GTK support
6 > > gtk2 == use GTK2 instead of GTK1 when possible
7 > That always kind of bugged me. If I wanted to go w/ strictly gtk2
8 > libs, the arrangement of those flags limits me to having to package
9 > mask the gtk1 libs, which is kind of a sucky approach.
10 >
11 > I understand that this setup is in use now, so we can't just go and
12 > change their meaning spur of the moment- that said, I'd suspect a lot
13 > of users haven't picked up on the gtk != use gtk1 libs (I know I
14 > didn't originally).
17 Too bad.
18 The other way would have lead to ordering problems and conflicts, which
19 are even worse that the current ambiguous setup is.
20
21 Face it, I want to tear the gtk2 USE flag out. I wouldn't be happier to
22 provide only Gtk+2.x support, and grab the legacy stuff, throw it on the
23 lawn and burn it.
24
25 The flag appeared as a choice for applications that decided to slowly
26 convert and add both UI's to the code, instead of branching a major
27 version with a new toolkit dependency. Unfortunately your solution
28 wouldn't have solved that. I thought of it at the time.
31 However, I hope that in a year or so we will be able to drop the gtk2
32 USE flag, as more and more projects have matured, and that gtk+1.x is
33 legacy and not supported, and haven't been supported for at least 3
34 years does add some heat to the issue. :)
35
36 But for the moment, If you know you have used gtk2? incorrectly to
37 select the gtk+ dependency... Well, this is the time to fix it...
40 //Spider
44 begin .signature
45 Tortured users / Laughing in pain
47 end