From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Handling multiple packages providing the same convenience symlink
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:16:56
1 On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:06:59 +0100 Alexander Skwar
2 <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
3 | Here again the Debian way has solved it: There would be no
4 | /usr/bin/vi, but only a binary called /usr/bin/vi.vim, vi.nvi and
5 | so on. With FEATURE="collision-protect", the collision of some old,
6 | not yet converted package wanting to install /usr/bin/vi would
7 | be easily detected.
8
9 Yeah, see we can't really do that because /usr/bin/vi is already there
10 on*BSD systems. Plus, there's no need to install a /usr/bin/vi.vim,
11 just a /usr/bin/vim .
12
13 Anyway, I think I've thought of a way to do all this trivially with very
14 little in the way of code and changes. Just a few files and a few
15 symlinks, kinda like alternatives but more suited for a Gentoo
16 environment. If it still looks like a good idea when I've got more
17 caffeine than alcohol in my blood then I'll elaborate :)
20 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
21 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
22 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm