From: Florian Schmaus <flow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Registering media types for Gentoo files
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 10:18:19
1 On 06.09.22 11:33, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > Since we've been standardizing some things in Gentoo lately, I was
5 > thinking we could try to get some media types registered with IANA.
6 >
7 > Particularly, I'm thinking of registering our Manifest format [1] as:
8 >
9 > text/vnd.gentoo.manifest
10 >
11 > and our new binary package container format [2] as:
12 >
13 > application/vnd.gentoo.gpkg
14 >
15 > However, the process is non-trivial and I'm not sure if the latter
16 > really qualifies, given we're only specifying the container and not
17 > the complete data format. To be honest, the specs are quite huge
18 > and I'd really appreciate some help grasping all of this.
19 >
20 > Perhaps ebuilds and eclasses would also qualify for registration.
21 >
22 > WDYT?
23
24 If you are happy to put in the effort, then I would go for it. Some
25 (most?) IANA registries are relatively easy to get in. I have some, but
26 somewhat little, experience with IANA due my XMPP background and I am
27 happy to assist.
28
29 - Flow