From: Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o>
To: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 'pax_kernel' USE flag
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 18:01:49
1 On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 10:35:12 +0100
2 Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Dear everyone,
5 >
6 > Seeing as in the end this USE flag is not going anywhere in spite of
7 > Gentoo no longer providing PaX-capable kernel sources, could we please
8 > rename it (e.g. to 'pax-kernel') so that it no longer contains a
9 > disallowed character. I understand the main reason this hasn't been done
10 > yet is that we expected it might disappear altogether.
11
12 Just renaming pax_kernel to pax-kernel for dev-libs/libffi will likely
13 brick a system on W^X kernel on first world update. python will
14 probably start crashing instantly. Unless user explicitly notices that
15 they need to enable a new flag.
16
17 Other packages should be less problematic to just switch over.
18
19 One of the steps forward for libffi would be to add extra USE=pax-kernel
20 with REQUIRED_USE="pax_kernel? ( pax-kernel )" or 'die' equivalent.
21
22 The specifics should ideally be handled by hardened@ team. Otherwise we
23 can do 'use pax_kernel || die' libffi experiment if nobody objects. Say,
24 in a few days.
28 Sergei